Faithful Word Assembly was incorporated and registered in the state of Louisiana on April 16, 1990, as a Christian Church; a non-profit organization. It is a non-denominational church in the Pentecostal/Charismatic tradition.
The church filed for and received 501 C3 tax-exempt status from the Federal Government on July 24, 2000.
FWA began in 1981, initially meeting in a second story storefront in Chalmette. After one year, the congregation rented a church building at 1041 Friscoville Ave., in Arabi, where they remained for 9 years. Due to growth and the deteriorated condition of that facility, the church leased the former Chalmette Post Office building located at 901 W. Judge Perez Dr., in 1990, renovated it, and remained there for six years until their lease expired. That lease was not renewed by the landlord, who had other commercial plans for the building. At that time, the church was holding meetings on Sunday evenings in a hotel meeting room in Kenner and having significant response. Since a large segment of the church came from the Metairie/Kenner area already, after much prayer and thoughtful deliberation, the leadership of the church decided to relocate it to the Metairie/Kenner area. The church met in hotels for part of 1996 and 1997. The church located in a storefront at 3729 Williams Blvd. in 1997, renovated and enlarged that space and occupied it until purchasing the facility at 1401 Joe Yenni Blvd. (formerly Hope Assembly of God) in April of 2004. Dr. Russell Tardo is the founding pastor of the church and the church has had no other pastor since its inception. Thus, the church has a 32 year history. Faithful Word Assembly is a single and distinct organization. It is not held, governed, controlled, subsidized or under the umbrella of any other agency, individual, organization, denomination or corporation.